Tips for a Successful Newborn Portrait Session
How to Prepare for your Newborn Photo Session
Houston newborn photographer, Lisa Carr with Belly to Baby Studios, shares information on how to prepare for your newborn photo session.
Once you have identified your newborn photographer and booked your session, you should begin preparing for your newborn’s milestone session. Here are a few tips:
1. Feed your baby well at home before the session. We need your baby to be relaxed and have a full tummy for the session. If you baby is moving around a lot, and demonstrating feeding ques, it is time to feed. Be patient with this.
Bring plenty of formula with you if you are bottle feeding. Bring more than what your baby typically eats at home as we have found most babies eat more when in a new environment. We have a fridge and bottle warmer available for our clients to use during the newborn session.
The list below is just a helpful guide of some foods to avoid while breastfeeding:
Citrus Acidic foods and drinks such as:
- Peanuts (Nuts in General)
- Mexican/ Spicy Food
- Tomatoes or tomato products
Gassy Vegetables such as:
- Brussel Sprouts
Restrict foods such as:
Soda, Coffee, Tea, Wine and Beer. Check with your doctor to see if dairy is also an issue.
We highly suggest if your baby is gassy, to avoid the foods mentioned 48 hours before your session.
2. Bring plenty of diapers for your baby. Your baby will probably need to be changed frequently during the session so be prepared! We have a changing station available for our clients during the session. Just bring your diapers and wipes. We do keep a few extra of these on hand just in case but every client, or baby, has their own preferences.
3. Bring a change of clothes. Are we also photographing parents in addition to your newborn’s photo session? We have a changing room and makeup area available for our clients to use while we are in session with your newborn. Please bring extra clothes if you are unsure what to wear for your family session. We are happy to provide a clothing consult a few days before your session, or right before. Here are a few clothing tips:
- – Solid colors work best
- – Wear clothes that are comfortable, that make you feel confident
- – Avoid patterns
- – Long sleeve is highly recommended
This list provides a few of our most helpful tips to help you prepare for your newborn photo session. You can view more of our newborn portraits, Maternity Portraits and our Family Portraits on our site. Our studio is conveniently located in the Galleria area, in a professional office building. We have a private nursing lounge so you can relax and feed your baby between sets.
Call us at 713-461-2862 and we can schedule and discuss your portrait session.